My Mom has lovingly shared with me some of her thoughts regarding the case of my phone getting pick-pocketed in London and I completely agree with these points as she managed to perfectly put it down in words. I can’t thank her enough especially for the great amount of wisdom she imparts to me.
PS. If you’re reading this mom, thank you for your wisdom, for being so incredibly supportive, understanding and selfless. I am so grateful that i have you as a mother. No other mom would be able to deal with a complete nuisance like me hahah
One useful and truthful perspective i’ve learnt when put in a situation whereby something ‘bad’ has occured is to ask papa God, “What can i learn from this? What are you trying to teach me that you would have allowed for this to happen?” instead of blaming God or questioning his goodness (because he is good all the time and every good and perfect gift is from him) 🙂
And that’s what i did… to be completely honest, it was very tough at the beginning as i was so devastated and in shock the rest of the day and i needed some time to grieve over the loss of something that my entire LIFE basically seemed to revolve around. (Although my friends were very surprised that i looked so calm, which is just my habit of maintaining composure at times of great pressure, there was truly a Hurricane Katrina/Typhoon Haiyan going on inside of me haha) I was in disbelief…. and constantly blinked my eyes in a state of blur to confirm the reality of all that had happened.
It was SUCH a painful lesson, maybe one of the most painful lessons in my entire life…If you know me, you know i’m quite an overly happy/optimistic person but yesterday was a rare moment whereby i actually lost all optimism and joy in me… it was….scary.
You might be wondering, but it’s just a phone!! I shouldn’t be reacting like this! That’s why it’s frightening to notice how much of an idol i have made my phone to be and it’s almost become something i can’t live without.
In retrospect, (although it only just happened yesterday) I already am starting to see the reasons behind why papa God allowed this to happen and am noticing the PROS gradually outweighing the CONS of this somewhat ‘painful’ but indefinitely necessary experience.
So here are some conclusions I’ve made with the huge help of my moms wisdom:
- There has been some things which have become almost idols in my life which is not pleasing to God and need to be removed.
– I’ve recognise my somewhat addiction to social media (i.e instagram, snapchat haha)
- Every little thing I choose to do – what to buy, what to do, where to go – I should always seek Gods will
– Both small things & big things and decisions – should learn to ask Him for advice n direction.
– Live by the spirit and you will be empowered by the Spirit and enjoy peace & joy in Him
– Living in the flesh is carnal and only about eating drinking & being merry -> hedonistic behaviour
Romans 8:5-8: For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be. So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God.
- – Promises and blessings are for those who walk in the Spirit and not in the flesh.
- Remember YWAM days about listening to God and above all – obeying Him
– Learn to say no and walk away if God says no and die to ‘myself’ which sometimes can be an idol and become more powerful and louder than the voice of God.
- Take heed to listen and be corrected and grow in my spiritual walk.
- At the end of the day it’s the loss of an object.
What does it profit a man if he gains the whole world but loses his soul?
- Be careful and wary not to get caught up in materialism – eating/shopping/pleasure seeking etc.
These are just a few learning points so far, i am still seeking for greater revelation on this experience because anyway there’s just so much to learn on this great journey of life with God and I’m constantly seeking and growing and seeking… I don’t want to need and rely on anything of this world. I want to come to a place where I can boldly and truthfully say ALL I NEED IS JESUS and HE IS THE ONE AND ONLY ROCK I LEAN ON!! ❤ And i pray the same for anyone who desires to come to a place of satisfaction and rest in Him alone. 🙂
He causes all things to work together for good to those who love Him (Rom. 8:28). Ask God for His perspective.
Hugs, Kisses & Blessings,