SOoo yesterday, i decided to watch City Harvest Church’s recent sunday service Emerge special weekend (also because my momma really encouraged me to watch it) and Ps Kong’s teaching could not be more apt! It was about bringing the kingdom of God for those who have yet to enter the marketplace eg. students, youths etc. It was really very good and Ps Kong gave practical things we could do to bring Christ into our schools/colleges/camps. And i felt that nobody should miss out on such wisdom and advice, so i thought i’ll share the notes i made when i was listening to his teaching!
He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation.” – Mark 16:15
- Arts & Entertainment
As Christians, we must look at our world as various “Cultural Spheres” – Abraham Kuyper
There is not a square inch in the whole domain of our human existence over which Christ, who is Sovereign over all, does not cry: “Mine!” – Abraham Kuyper
Everything belongs to Jesus.
“In all things God may be praised through jesus christ…”
“It is a Gospel of redemption, renewal and restoration.”
So how does he/she take christ into his arena?
That is when Ps Kong converted the 7 spheres of society into the 5 spheres of the campus:
5 SPHERES OF CAMPUS:
- Partying & Pleasure
Take these 5 spheres and boldly engage them for the glory of jesus christ!
1 CHURCH ♥
♦ its a Building to display gods glory and manifest his presence.
– People enter into the universe of God. 1 Peter 2:5
– You are a living stone! The more connected we are to one another, the better we are.
– display gods beauty and glory
– Do gods work and serve the world!
– Spiritually gotta grow up to be more and more like jesus christ.
– God raises up pastors and church leaders to equip us with the word that we may come into the full maturity of the stature (size) of jesus christ!
– The truth is that we can’t do without pastors and church leaders.
– Surfing on the internet for bible knowledge cannot substitute being part of the local church.
– If u are not integrated into the body of christ physically, it is not enough.
– We need the body in order to have real spiritual growth.
Community = Closeness
– The closer we get, the more likely we will hurt one another.
– Community is messy.
– But god in his sovereign wisdom, allows it. We learn how to love one another, be patient, how to forgive…. and in that process we become more like christ.
– Level of busyness in school is unbelievable.
– It is easy for a youth in campus to adopt a “jesus-in-need” attitude.
– Church is inconvenient, can be messy.
– But jesus wants us to be connected together and moved together.
♦ How to engage sphere of church?
Make the church your spiritual home base from now till the end of your life.. Love the church and be actively involved in the house of god.
2 RELATIONSHIPS ♥
The kingdom of god is the kingdom of relationships
There are various levels of relationship:
- learn to foster good relationships esp with parents
- parents can be overly involved or very distant and aloof
- no matter what, the bible says, god expects us to honour your father and mother. (ex 20:12)
- there will be control issues, differing of expectation, trust issues
- if there are serious hurts, you cannot walk away from them
- if u don’t handle them, the anger/bitterness/fear/resentment is gonna come back and haunt you one day and thats how u get generational sins and curses because some youth didn’t handle the relationship w their parents well
- during campus years, gotta make a decision to learn to love our father and mother and know that god is our heavenly father
- if our relationship with heavenly abba father is great – its a vertical cross – relationships with our earthly parents will be good too
- people today are lonelier than ever before
- one can have thousands of friends on facebook but not have any real friendship in life – thats how people become psychopaths
- CHOOSE UR FRIENDS WISELY
- the bible says a friend sticks w you, gives you good advice, acts of integrity, does not take revenge, is not quarrelsome
♦ ROMANCE & SEX
- watch out for – dating and sex
- we must love wisely
- love selflessly
- young people desire romance too much…
- love relationships are good but we need to be open to gods timing
- we live in a generation that introduces the concept of friends w benefits – hooking up
- we live in a generation where its alright even for christians to share the same bedroom or sleep in the same bed – acting like they are practically married
- going on holiday, sharing a bed, same bedroom and saying its not a problem.. cutting costs
- it is hard to be faithful in this area when it seems everyone in church is doing it
- but god still says the same..
- sex outside of marriage is gonna hurt you and gonna hurt others
- flee sexual immorality (1 Corinthians 6:18-20)
- your body is the temple of the holy spirit who is in you
♦ How to engage this sphere?
- if u are single, there is power in your singleness
- treat every man as a brother, every other man as a father
- treat every girl as a sister, older woman as a mother
- treat them and love them in that way and grow in your holiness
- Use this time of singleness to go all out for jesus!!!!!!!
- There will come a time when u wanna go all out for jesus but u can’t because u have a family, job commitments, etc.
- Use this time to grow in god
♦ But if you’re dating already….
- grow in your friendship, grow in your sanctification
- be inclusive, not exclusive
- Don’t pair off and disappear
- learn to work together with others and shine for jesus christ
♦ And if you are breaking up….
Break up graciously. Don’t break up and hurt/stalk the other party.
Just because you end a relationship does not mean u stop becoming a christian.
3 ACADEMICS ♥
Work is the gift of god!
The first thing god gave Adam – God gave Adam work to do before he gave Adam a wife.
Got work, got wife. No work, no wife! (HAHAHA)
Work means worship (Hebrew)
– Work is worship…your work is your worship..
– The way you work expresses your worship to God.
– Work is designed to help us know jesus better and be more like jesus.
ALL YOUR ANNOYING PROJECTS/UNFAIR ASSESSMENTS/TESTS ARE DESIGNED BY GOD TO BE THERE TO MAKE U MORE LIKE JESUS CHRIST!!!!
♦ Don’t be lazy or halfhearted in your studies.
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters. – Col 3:23
- By not working hard in your school work/projects, you are reflecting poorly on christ and the church.
- But when we are working hard, we are honouring jesus.
- Remember: Our work is our worship
♦ Don’t turn academic success into an idol
- anything no matter how good can become an idol if it replaces the position of god in your life.
- your children can become an idol, studies can become an idol
- “God brought me here primarily to be a student” its yes and no..
– you’re first a christian! before you are a student.
– God brought u here to be a christian
– Anything that stops u from seeking god and his kingdom and righteousness first is an idol.
– Matt 6:33
- You must work hard but not excessively to an extent it draws u away from a relationship w god
- The original mission statement of Harvard is to know god and jesus christ.
Jesus is the foundation of all knowledge!
- going to school should draw us closer to him.
- if going to school takes away your time from god and his church, we need to re-callibrate life
- we must still be faithful in our studies
- being spiritual doesn’t mean u become an ignoramus – being ignorant/stupid
- gotta be SMART!!!!!!!!!!
4 LEADERSHIP ♥
Leadership is influence
– It is not a title or position
To be a leader as a christian is quite different from the way the world views leadership..
- Jesus says the leaders of the world lord it over others.
– They use heavy control, bully, push their way, oppress..
- But in the kingdom of god, whoever who wants to be great, must be your servant.
– Being great is not about climbing up the ladder, but going down the ladder.that is the difference
- If you say that in school, you have many commitments and don’t have time to lead….
– don’t opt out of using the gift of leadership god has given to you.
– by not stepping out in leadership, u are depriving other people of the blessings god wanted them to have
– you must move and use the leadership gifts god has given to you
- learn what it means to fail – fail forward. It is aright to keep trying as God sees our hearts
♦ The world needs leaders. Not just any leader but leaders that reflect king jesus.
– Provide leadership.
– Lead by your humility/servanthood.
– Lead by your faith and enthusiasm.
– Most importantly lead them to king jesus!
5 PARTYING & PLEASURE ♥
The 3 main campus challenges….
How can we be in the world and not of the world?
God is not against fun!!
The reason why so many followed jesus in the gospel cause jesus was fun to be with!
God is not a straight-laced, boring, narrow-minded person.
– 26 times in a year, god instituted festivals for he jews to celebrate.
– Once every 2 weeks the jews have a party
– Every 7th year there is a huge party
– 50th year is a celebration of jubilee
God loves a good party!
The Lord your God is with you,
the Mighty Warrior who saves.
He will take great delight in you;
in his love he will no longer rebuke you,
but will rejoice over you with singing.” Zeph 3:17
Christians should be on the cutting edge of music, fashion, arts, pop-culture but there MUST BE A DIFFERENCE.
- We are not of the world
- The world means everything that opposes the will of god.
- There must be a holy counter-culture in our campus
- HOLY COUNTERCULTURE meaning that we gotta engage fully in our schools but there must be a difference in our spiritual conviction and values.
- It is fine to drink, but if u get drunk – what is the difference between u and the world?
- sharing room with your girlfriend? practically married? Then whats the difference between u and the rest of the world?
This takes wisdom and discernment.
- Be deeply aware of what the bible is saying and what the culture is proclaiming
- Know what are the things we can receive
- Know what to reject
- There is no such thing as christian strip poker and no such thing as christian sex trafficking or christian adultery.
What are things we can redeem?
♦ Have fun
- but there must be a holy counterculture!
- God wants us to be the coolest, most fun, most dynamic people
- but God wants you to be holy
- we don’t take drugs, we don’t sleep around!
You want to be powerful!!
Have the power of the holy spirit through your holiness.
And engage it fully for the glory of God! 🙂 🙂
I’d highly encourage anyone who’s interested to watch the sermon video itself you can click the link below:
Engaging The Campus
28 Jun – 29 Jun
I pray this teaching has blesses and impacts you greatly just as it did for me 🙂
Have a wonderful weekend x
Hugs, Kisses & Blessings,