“I used to be afraid of failing at something that really mattered to me, but now I’m more afraid of succeeding at things that don’t matter.” – Bob Goff
This is a follow-up post about being secretly incredible. I went on a rampage on all of BG’s teachings as there was so much wisdom I could get from the life of this man. I will try to spread out my posts as I’m the type that goes all out and does things in bulk but I realised its hard to take it all in and it could get redundant as it becomes information overload.
It will be our accessibility, not our words, which will be our legacy.
We don’t really make friends, they make us.
“Let us not love with words and speech but with actions and in truth.” (1 John 3:16)
Not about saying the right stuff but doing the right stuff; not to please God but to know the answer to these questions: How are you? What do you want?
Matthew 5… Love your enemies so you can be perfect like your father in heaven is perfect…
- If someone asks “How’re you doing?” – remind yourself “I’m trying to be perfect like my father in heaven is perfect.”
- Move from just agreeing with Jesus to doing stuff.
Love God with all your heart, soul and mind…
- Love God
- Love People
- And Do Stuff!!!
- The more times we do stuff, we gain friends and things happen.
But we have to figure out what’s the right stuff to do. What were you made to do? What is it that Jesus made you to do?
Ephesians 4.. Live a life worthy of the calling you’ve received.
- Don’t live his or her life. Live a life worthy of the calling YOU have received.
- Don’t be defined by who you used to be.
Like a polaroid picture that takes time to develop….
- If you wanna figure out what it is that you were made to be as a leader in your community, all the places God has put you right now, let it develop over time. Don’t rush it or force it…. you will blow it. Let it develop over time!
- We see through a mirror dimly, but then face to face.
- It will come into focus for us but it will take a little time.
- Sometimes, as people are developing around us, we think in leadership it is to give us all these pointers.
- Leadership and what it means to be a father who loves a son; the only 3 words he was thinking was “Land The Plane!”
- Trust that they know how to do this, and just encourage them to land the plane!
Problem: We get afraid.
Jesus said, “Be not afraid.”
- If we weren’t afraid in leadership, we could live into the life worthy of the high calling of leadership that most of us have received.
- But many of us fake it. We are posers!! We don’t have to be afraid, be yourself and live a life worthy of the calling you’ve received.
If you wanna live the life worthy of the calling you’ve received in leadership, see people for who they are becoming. Not who they were. Don’t look at past screw-ups and the old you, you’re still developing and so are the people who are following you.
- Jesus did the same thing to Peter. He didn’t call peter a wuss, he said “Peter you’re a rock!” He wasn’t blowing sunshine at him, he saw who he was becoming. We do that in leadership, we’ll blow people’s doors off. It’s sincere.
- Next time you greet someone, say “It’s good to SEE ya”. As a reminder to see people for who they’re becoming.
- Leadership: How to integrate your faith?
It’s like a key on a typewriter, an interrobang – question mark and exclamation point. Having questions but putting the exclamation point after the right stuff.
Love your enemies, Be awesome, just like your Father in heaven is.
If you want to lead strong in your communities, say yes!!!!
Even when it seems crazy to say yes. But you don’t have to say yes to everything. Your world is as crowded as mine.
- Every single Thursday, Bob Goff quits something.
- Off-load one thing, knowing that in your leadership journey, if you make a margin, Jesus will chuck terrific things in there.
God wants to blow your mind!!!!!
1 Corinthians 1:26… Brothers and sisters, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth. But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. God chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things—and the things that are not—to nullify the things that are, so that no one may boast before him. It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption. Therefore, as it is written: “Let the one who boasts boast in the Lord.”
Isn’t it great that God’s ability to forgive us isn’t limited by our ability to get it?
Matthew 5.. Love your enemies so you can perfect and awesome…
- You wanna get stuff right in your leadership, just get the exclamation point after the right stuff.
- Coby knows that if he has an enemy, he can’t be awesome or perfect like his father is.
Think of what God has done. Land the plane. Be awesome and perfect.
Romans 8.. neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
This seriously impacted my life. My spirit was stirring throughout the video teaching!! I also feel like some things I’ve been seeking God for were partly answered because of what Bob Goff shared. This is amazing. I’m going to post this and take a while to read it through again to process all the wisdom I’ve heard from this incredible man.
Be Not Afraid, Say Yes To Your Calling!